Monday, March 03, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day - A Little Early, I Know

In honor of St. Patrick's Day and the fact that McMurphy's are Irish we are taking small steps to GO GREEN! Here is our first step:
I go to Target about twice a week (sometimes more, sometimes less - I know, make a list and you won't have to go as often!), and each time I go I get about this many plastic bags. We save them to line our small trash cans and use them for yucky diapers, but still have them stashed in two places in our house waiting to be reused. Even though we reuse them they will still take about 20 years to decompose in the land fills. So, if I get about 8 bags twice a week, that's 416 bags a year!

Here is our solution to our contribution to the plastic bags in landfills. We have two types of reusable grocery bags. The ones on the top fold up into these neat little pouches that I can just throw into my purse and grab really easily. The ones on the bottom are kind of like paper sacks made of reusable material for larger grocery purchases. So far, I have had great success with them and the people at the check-out counter seem to like them, too!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: