Thursday, May 07, 2009

My First . . .

I took one of the kids to the reading tutor tonight, Lyndal usually does it, but he had to be somewhere.  I had never met the tutor, but was there for the initial testing and everything.  As we were leaving the reading tutor this evening she asked me what my necklace meant.  I told her that it was Chinese for mother and daughter and that on either side were my children's birthstones, and then I said that we were in the process of adopting a baby girl from China.  I don't tell that to people very often, not sure why, mostly because it doesn't come up very naturally, this time it happened to fit in nicely in the conversation.  The reading tutor looked at the other three kids (Conner was with Lyndal) then looked at me with this puzzled look on her face.  She asked if my other children were biological!  She very politely mentioned that the girls and I don't look very much alike!  I just kind of giggled.  Something I had known, but never thought anyone else thought!

It's funny how your kids turn out.  Nicole looks a lot like my mother-in-law with her beautiful smile, the way her teeth are shaped, and her light eyes.  Her hair color could come from my Dad's side or Lyndal's side.  Carlie looks so much like my Grandma!  It is almost comical to see them together.  You can picture what Grandma must've looked like all those years ago!  Both girls have a similar hair color to my cousin Kasie, paler skin, and lighter eyes.  The boys take a little more after me in coloring, but there are pictures of Lyndal when he was E's age and it looks like a carbon copy of him!

Anyway, just thought it was interesting that someone commented on my biological children - that maybe they weren't my biological children.  I guess I better get used to it :)!

1 comment:

Doug and Cheryl said...

Hi, I googled blogs with the words "New Day Foster Home" and your blog came up. My wife and I adopted a little boy from NDFH and I wondered if you were adopting from NDFH?

Doug