Monday, June 01, 2009

Contentedness

Do you ever hear a Bible verse or phrase or a word more than once and think, "OK, I am listening now."  The first time I heard it was in church yesterday when pastor had us turn to Phil. 4:11-13 which says:  

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

The second time was in a devotional book I read before I went to bed that talked about how true contentment was a gift from God.

It made me stop and ask myself if I really was content.  I know I am content with my family, the 'things' we have, the home we live in, all the 'stuff' (we could definitely get rid of some of the 'stuff').  So, in what areas am I NOT content?  I know that if Avery were home I would be content (that's a big one).  I know that if my house were cleaner and more organized I would be content.  If I could lose about 15-20 pounds I would be content.  If I had better self-control in my eating and exercising I would be content.  If I didn't have frequent headaches I would be content.  That's a lot that's keeping me from being content, isn't it?  Just thinking about it makes me stressed and even more discontent!

But, the last verse in that passage says that "I can do everything through HIM who gives me strength."  My help and hope comes from HIM the maker of heaven and earth!  God I want the gift of contentment!  So, here's to learning to be content in Him, laying it all at his feet everyday.  So, that I can go on and be who He wants me to be, so that I can enjoy my family, I can chill, I can give it all to Him!

1 comment:

Jewels of My Heart said...

Words of love, wisdom and truth..... and.... I have to say that it would seems God is speaking this to me as well! This verse was in the sermon I listened to yesterday and now I find myself here seeing again..... Yes, God is speaking to us.
God's speed to your little one.